We need to be technology neutral, Takeuchi says. by Maruti Suzuki

The country’s largest automaker pursuing a variety of technologies for society and the environment

The country’s largest automaker pursuing a variety of technologies for society and the environment

Maruti Suzuki wants to be technology neutral and pursue a variety of technologies that have the potential to contribute to society and the environment, said the new director and CEO of the country’s largest automaker, Hisashi Takeuchi.

Mr Takeuchi added in his first media interaction after taking over the role in April that the transition from current automotive technologies to newer technologies such as electric vehicles (EV) should be smooth, especially for an industry that employs many people. has. “It’s disruptive innovation, but we shouldn’t disrupt the industry,” he said.

He pointed out that by 2030, experts expect electric passenger cars to make up 10% of the market, meaning the remaining 90% of vehicles will still be internal combustion engines (ICE) or a combination of an ICE with hybrid technology, or perhaps a hybrid. other technology.

“Maruti Suzuki’s stance is that anything that is good for India, good for the environment and good for people, any technology we should be exploring… we see EV as one of the answers… At the same time, we will explore other technologies. pursuing, such as CNG vehicles…Ethanol also has great potential, hybrid technology is also an important technology,” said Mr. Takeuchi.

He added that the company will introduce strong hybrid technology “in the not-so-distant future” and believes that this technology can make a major contribution to the CO2 emissions situation in India. It can be developed quickly as it does not require charging infrastructure like EVs, said Mr Takeuchi.

Amid mounting concerns about the safety of electric vehicles in India due to an increase in fire incidents in two-wheelers, the Maruti Suzuki MD said the environment in India is harsh given the very high temperatures and that is why the company has conducted extensive testing on the Wagon R. About 50 Wagon R electric cars are running on Indian roads under various conditions to ensure that “the system is free from those accidents and we can make safe vehicles for customers”.

Mr Takeuchi added that he was very excited to be at the wheel of Maruti Suzuki, the largest company for Suzuki, that there is huge growth potential in India, and his focus is to bring the joy of mobility to as many people as possible. bring. Indians possible.

To remain the market leader, he said the company will focus on all segments of the market, including the small car segment, which is the company’s strength in India.

“Mobility is joy for the people; if you have mobility, you have freedom… My vision is to try to bring this joy to as many people in India as possible and for this a small car is important too, not just SUV (Sports Utility Vehicle) and other big cars… What we need to do is more technology improvement, more localization and more cost-saving activities… to get more affordable cars for Indian people,” he said.

Mr. Takeuchi further said that while there is strong demand for small cars, the share of SUVs in the auto market is increasing, in part as small cars become more expensive with higher input and material costs, as well as rising oil prices. “We have to work really hard now because this is our strength and this is where we can contribute to Indian society,” he said.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button