Today’s Heardle answer is an easy one if you’re of a certain age or into a particular kind of music — but could be difficult otherwise. If you play Heardle, you’ll know what I mean.
Haven’t played the game before? It’s one of the best Wordle alternatives and clones, but rather than making you guess five-letter words, it gives you six chances to identify a song from a 15-second intro. Heardle pulls its playlist from the most popular streamed tracks on a range of platforms, so you don’t need to be a huge music buff to stand a chance of getting a good score.
Still, it can be surprisingly tricky to guess the name of a song just from the intro. That’s where we come in — we’re keeping track of the answers from past Heardle games, and we’ll give you hints for today’s Heardle answer if you’re stumped.
Plus, if you just want to know the solution to today’s Heardle, you’ll find that here, too. No judgement from us.
Warning: spoilers lie ahead for Heardle #96, so only read on if you want to know today’s Heardle answer!
Today’s Heardle hints, Wednesday, June 1
Before we reveal today’s answer, here are a few hints that should help you if you’re stuck.
- This song released in 1996
- The song kept the #1 spot in the Canadian charts for six weeks, and stayed in the top 100 for 29 weeks
- A stage musical based on the album this song released under premiered in 2018
Alright, that’s the hints done with — time for the solution.
Today’s Heardle answer, Wednesday, June 1
So, what is today’s Heardle answer?
The answer is Ironic by Alanis Morissette.
Did you get it? If Heardle’s clip wasn’t enough for you, check out the full song here:
Well done if you got the right answer! This song has a really memorable music video, so give it a watch if you’ve never seen it before.
I saw lots of people guess this song right away during my daily Heardle research. Alanis’ vocals start around the 3-second mark, so lots of people cottoned onto who the artist was on their third attempt, too.
Not me, though. The little 3-note guitar sequence 9 seconds into today’s Heardle had me convinced this song was A Thousand Miles (opens in new tab) by Vanessa Carlton. Obviously that wasn’t right — I probably should’ve remembered that jingle in A Thousand Miles is played on piano, not guitar. I would’ve had a better chance of guessing this song if I’d listened to the Jagged Little Pill musical soundtrack, so that’s what I’ll be doing after work today.
Previous Heardle answers
If you’re looking for a list of older Heardle answers, we can also help. Here’s a list going back 20 games.
- #95, May 31: Pharrell ft. Jay-Z — Frontin’
- #94, May 30: ACDC — Back In Black
- #93, May 29: Elvis Presley — Can’t Help Falling In Love
- #92, May 28: Britney Spears — Toxic
- #91, May 27: Robin S. — Show Me Love
- #90, May 26: Depeche Mode — Personal Jesus
- #89, May 25: Backstreet Boys — I Want It That Way
- #88, May 24: Bob Dylan — Like A Rolling Stone
- #87, May 23: Alicia Keys — If I Ain’t Got You
- #86, May 22: Joy Division — Love Will Tear Us Apart
- #85, May 21: The Notorious B.I.G. — Juicy
- #84, May 20: Justin Timberlake — Like I Love You
- #83, May 19: Miley Cyrus — Wrecking Ball
- #82, May 18: Deep Purple — Smoke on Water
- #81, May 17: George Michael — Freedom ’90
- #80, May 16: Wild Cherry — Play That Funky Music
- #79, May 15: Paul Simon — You Can Call Me AL
- #78, May 14: Toploader — Dancing in the Moonlight
- #77, May 13: Electric Light Orchestra – Mr. Blue Sky
- #76, May 12: a-Ha — Take On Me
- #75, May 11: Santa — Maria Maria (ft. The Product G&B)
- #74, May 10: Blue Oyster Cult — (Don’t Fear) The Reaper